Visiting Medical Students
VSLO Coordinator: Jenn Foster
Curricular Affairs Office | Clinical Education
UConn School of Medicine
263 Farmington Avenue
Farmington, CT 06030-1830
Information for Visiting Students
Thank you for your interest in enrolling as a visiting student at the University of Connecticut, School of Medicine. We currently accept visiting students enrolled in U.S. (LCME-approved) medical and osteopathic schools (AOA-approved). Students must apply through the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) software, to receive visiting student applications.
To apply: Complete and submit the electronic VSLO application for your preferred electives.
COVID Updates: The UConn SOM will be following the guidelines provided by the AAMC’s Coalition for Physician Accountability (COPA). The remainder of the 2020-21 academic year (ending June 30, 2021), away rotations be discouraged, except under the following circumstances:
- Learners who have a specialty interest and do not have access to a clinical experience with a residency program in that specialty in their school’s system.
- Learners for whom an away rotation is required for graduation or accreditation requirements.
For the 2021-22 academic year, away rotations resume no earlier than August 1, 2021, with the following guidance:
- After April 15, learners may begin applying for and scheduling in-person away rotations with a start date of August 1, 2021, or later.
- Programs hosting learners for away rotations are encouraged to adhere to May 1 as the date to begin processing away rotation applications that begin on or after August 1.
- Given the compressed timeline – paired with an inadequate quantity of electives available for completion – medical schools are encouraged to limit approved away rotations in any specialty to one per learner, except in cases where additional rotations are needed to complete graduation or accreditation requirements. Residency programs are encouraged to take into consideration if a learner exceeded the one-away-rotation limit during the residency selection process.
We will publish our course catalog and date offerings for the upcoming academic year on VSLO every March. We accept applications starting in April until Mid-June. The electives offered in VSLO have descriptions for each elective for you to review. Visiting Students may not contact the elective directors directly for information regarding electives. Once accepted, you will be contacted by the coordinator for information regarding the elective.
Students must be in their fourth year of medical school and in good standing. We are unable to accept requests for a basic (required) clerkship experience in Medicine, Pediatrics, Surgery, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Psychiatry, Family Medicine, or Neurology.
Once a visiting student accepts an elective, we expect the student to honor that commitment. If a student decides to cancel an accepted elective, it must be dropped in VSLO and the VSLO Primary Contact must be notified via email. We request a minimum of 30 days’ notice. If we are not notified and an accepted student does not show up for an elective, the home institution will be notified.
As a state institution, we do not participate in individual affiliation agreements with other institutions. We do participate in the AAMC Uniform Clinical Agreement. Please find the agreement below (Word doc of agreement and PDF of AAMC UCA under this paragraph). Once accepted for the elective, please have your institution complete the SCHOOL portion of the form and email to VSLO Coordinator, Jenn Foster, at email@example.com.
We require the following documents to be uploaded in VSLO:
- Official Transcript
- AAMC Standardized Immunization Form
- Step1 Board Scores and/or COMLEX Exam Scores