UConn School of Medicine Visiting Externship for Students Underrepresented in Medicine
Diversity and inclusion are core institutional goals at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine (UConn SoM). A multiplicity of initiatives in undergraduate and graduate medical education, our clinical enterprise, and research infrastructure are focused on executing these goals. The UConn SoM Visiting Externship for Students Underrepresented in Medicine (VESUM) reflects our long-term drive and commitment to reflect the racial and ethnic diversity of the broader community we serve.
The immediate objective of this program is to increase the number of students from groups underrepresented in medicine (URiM) participating in fourth-year electives at our institution. The ultimate goal is to increase the number of URiM students applying to and participating in UConn Health graduate medical education programs. VESUM offers a stipend of $1,500 (to cover living and travel expenses) to third-year URiM students from accredited US medical schools to participate in fourth-year externships in:
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Orthopedic Surgery*
- Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Externships are four weeks in duration
- Externships will be scheduled from August to November
- Participating students will receive mentorship and career guidance
- Participating students will be scheduled for a one-on-one meeting with the Interim Associate Dean for Multicultural and Community Affairs, Dr. Linda Barry
- UConn SoM uses the AAMC definition of URiM, specifically inclusive of African American, Native American/Alaskan Native, Latino, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander
- Students interested in applying to VESUM must complete a short application (VESUM Application). If accepted, the student must then complete the AAMC Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) application (formerly known as VSAS - Visiting Student Application Service) for the specific rotation.
We are currently accepting applications.
DEADLINE: May 8, 2023
For questions or more information, contact UConn SoM Office of Multicultural and Community Affairs at OMCA@uchc.edu.
* For those interested in an Orthopedic Surgery rotation, please contact our office for additional information specific to this rotation.